Tuesday 30 August 2011

Mac 15pan Palette: Basic Shades

I am always mesmerized by videos on YouTube about mac 15pan palettes, categorized by shades (neutrals, pinks, blues, etc) and I decided to make a palette of my own.

The hard part is that I wanted to limit myself to one palette, because:
  • the eyeshadows are quite expensive (obviously!)
  • I don't find it practical to have 2-3 palettes around me to complete a look.
  • I dont't need similar shades because I don't think everyday people (as opposed to make up artists or professionals in general) notice slight variations of shade or color intensity or shimmer or whatever.
  • I don't need all the colors available, it is so easy to change the hue of an eyeshadow just by sweeping another color on top!
So, after a lot of time online, seeing swatches, watching videos, reading blogs, etc, I made a sort of "pattern" and I based my palette on it. Of course there are a lot of eyeshadows that I didn't like when I actually swatched them in my local Mac store, and a few others that were not in my plan but caught my eye!

So, this is my (one and only - at least so far!) 15pan palette:


The "pattern" is quite simple:
  • one row with cool (?) shades,
  • one row with warm (?) shades,
  • one row with the rest.
And vertically:
  • highlighters in the first column
  • midtones (eyelid colors) in the second column
  • shading colors (crease) in the third column
As you can see, the first three columns are all natural shades, the last two columns are all colors.

There are two "basic" shades missing and that is a pure white and a pure black and the reason I don't have such shades is because I don't use them that often.

Highlights:


Cool - Crystal Avalanche is desribed as white with reflects (VeluxePearl)
Warm - Short Shorts (limited edition from the Surf Baby collection) was not on my list but I loved it! I think Nylon from the permanent line is an alternative shade.
Brule is described as soft creamy-beige (Satin).

Midtones:


Cool - Pink Venus is described as washed pink (Lustre). It looks lovely in the pan but the color payoff is minimal.
Warm - Honesty is described as pewtered bronze (Lustre). I don't know why I picked this and minimal color payoff here too!
Satin Taupe is described as taupe with silver shimmer (Frost). It is my latest aquisition, I haven't even tried it on yet! The main reason I got it is because I like taupe color in general and I thought I should try out this (very famous) shade! 

Crease colors:


I don't find flattering (on me) too dark colors, that's why I chose medium shades, not too dark, not too light.

Cool - Scene is described as muted blue-grey (Satin).
Warm - Espresso is described as muted golden brown (Matte).
Smut is described as muted black with red shimmer (Velvet). To me it looks like an in between color and I use it when I want a little more intensity.

Colors 1:


Cool - Passionate is described as real mid-tone red (Matte). When I got frustrated with Pink Venus I went overboard and purchased Passionate, it actually is a very pretty color and when used with a light hand the result is quite lovely. I usually use Passionate as a base and Pink Venus on top for the shimmer.
Warm - Expensive Pink is described as pink with duochrome (Veluxe Pearl). I really love this color!
Sun Blonde (limited edition from the Surf Baby collection) was also not on my list but I loved it too! I think Gorgeous Gold from the permanent line is an alternative shade.

Colors 2

 
Cool - Moon's Reflection is described as blue w/white pearl (Veluxe Pearl).
Warm - Swimming is described as hi-shine sea green (Lustre). Althought this is a Lustre too, the color payoff is a lot better than Pink Venus.
Aquadisiac is described as deep sea turquoise (Lustre). This one has the best pigmentation amongst all my Lustre eyeshadows. It is also the first ever Mac eyeshadow I purchased, I just love it!

Please note that "cool" and "warm" are relevant terms, according to the way I see the colors, so what seems warm to me someone else may categorize as cool, etc!  

What is your most reached for eyeshadow? 


2 comments:

  1. I am waiting the next -25% for going MAC shopping!!! I want to buy an empty palette and some eyeshadows!
    Have you seen the MAC Me Over collection? What do you think?

    Kisses!
    korina
    www.makeupvibes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Korina, first comment in my blog, whoooohoooo!
    Now, seriously, empty mac palettes can be VERY tempting to fill them quickly, so take your time and do enough research before going to the shop, and when you get there, swatch like mad before you actually buy. And mind that Lustre finish is quite sheer. As far as Mac Me Over, too many products, but there is somethiing for every taste. I got the 226 brush, ideal for the crease, both blushes (stunner is really a go with everything blush), all the eyeshadows except Mythical because it seemed too metallic to my taste. Also Avenue fluidline, I find it perfect for everyday because Blacktrax seems too intense to me. It's not black, it's not brown, it's in between. Just perfect!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...